I'm Graham Godwin-Pearson, one of two Conservative councillors for the Axevale ward on Sedgemoor District Council, the other being Liz Scott. The ward covers Axbridge, Compton Bishop and Cross, Weare and Lower Weare, Badgworth and the Allertons, Brinscombe, Alston Sutton, Biddisham and Tarnock.
I live locally with my young family and run my own small business. I have long been a campaigner on environmental issues and worked closely with IFAW, Tusk & others on the protection of species & habitats.
I want to build on the work that the council has done to improve life in our corner of Somerset still further.
Every day many of us witness the lorries rumbling through our community. Numbers have doubled since 2002 and 5 million vehicles per year now use the A38, leading to more accidents, more pollution, more litter and more noise. We also have a problem locally with speeding vehicles and dangerous junctions.
My priorities for the Axevale ward are:-
- Improving road safety and pedestrian and cycle access, including reducing speed limits in accident hotspots and near schools and nurseries and rethinking dangerous junctions.
- Collecting more kerbside recycling, especially plastics
- Reducing roadside waste, promoting litter picks, adding bins and tackling pollution
- Common sense with planning, since more and more homes are planned for the ward, while meeting affordable homes quotas with high quality housing.
- Better facilities, especially for young families, and improving broadband, while minimising disruption while it's being installed.
I want to hear your views. If you'd like to get in touch, please don't hesitate to fill out this form.
You can read more about the Sedgemoor-wide priorities of the group here.